The main activities involved in Release Management may be summarised as:
- Establishing a planning policy for the implementation of new versions.
- Developing new versions or buying them from third parties.
- Testing new versions in an environment that simulates the live environment as closely as possible.
- Validating the new versions.
- Implementing new versions in the live environment.
- Carrying out back-out plans to remove the new version if necessary.
- Updating the DSL, the DHS and the CMDB.
- Informing and training customers and users about the functionality of the newly released version.
The diagram below shows the processes involved in proper Release Management:
Note: using the buttons on the graphic you can access more detailed information about the links with other IT processes.